Monday, February 2, 2009

Superbun Sunday

When Chris was at the dentist office waiting for me to get my teeth ripped out, he read a copy of the new issue of Gourmet magazine. They have a big feature on rolls and buns. So... he went and picked a copy up. All the rolls looked so yummy. We decided to make these.

Parmesan Pull-Aparts

2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2/3 cup milk (105-115 degrees)
2 1/2 cups flour + 2 tablespoons for later
1 1/4 cups grated parmigiano-Reggiano
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
1 tablespoon water

It may be helpful to have a mixer, but we didn't use one. We used old-fashioned muscle.

First you need to mix the yeast with the milk and sugar. Make sure the milk is the correct temperature. Once you mix these together you need to let the combination sit for about 5 minutes. It should start to foam. If it doesn't foam, you will need to start over. We had to do it twice, the first time we tried using honey instead of sugar and it didn't foam.

While you are waiting for it to foam you can mix together the flour, cheese and salt. Then mix this with your yeast mixture and add the other 1/3 of milk, mix on low speed. Once all mixed you can mix in 2 eggs, one at a time. Mix for about 3 minutes and a dough will start to form. It is very sticky and messy, just keep going. Then you can mix in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Once all mixed form the dough into the center of the bowl and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour on top. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a dish towel. Let rise for about 1 1/2-2 hours. The dough should double. I noticed ours didn't double till close to the end of the time.

After the 2 hours punch down the dough (do not knead) and turn it onto a floured surface of some type. Then you should divide the rolls into 12. You can sort of roll them in your hand, but don't over work them. When you are done place them into a buttered pan about an inch a part. Then cover with a dish towel and let rise for another 1-1/2 hours.

Now you will want to turn the over on to 375 and move your rack to the middle.

Also you need to take out that last egg and whisk it with some water. Then you want to paint the tops of the rolls with a little of this mixture and then you are ready to bake for 20-25 minutes!

Flip them out of the pan and let sit for about 20 minutes or for as long as you can wait to eat one.

No comments:

Post a Comment