Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pizza Success



I (sarah) got home and had a huge craving for pizza. Follia, a restaurant that has pizza in Chicago is close by, but I thought why don't I try and make my own. I have seen a few recipes online for pizza crust, but I always think it will be difficult. So I texted Chris and told him I was attempting pizza, later I found out that he was very happy to see this text. I was a little nervous the entire time I was making the crust, thinking in the back of my head, we can always heat up some pasta for dinner. But to my surprise it turned out really really well. Chris said it is the best pizza he has ever had. The Crust was the perfect balance of crunchy and soft. I hate when crust gets soggy on the bottom and I when its too hard. So this was just the right balance.

Homemade Pizza with Tomatoes, Garlic, Bacon & Goat Cheese

For the crust

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon olive oil

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then add the water and olive oil. Now you want to try and mix this up into a ball. Then knead it on a floured surface for a few minutes and keep working it into a ball. If you get frustrated, just put it down and let it rest for a couple of minutes.

Pour a little olive oil into the bowl you were using. Then roll the ball of dough around to get a nice coating of olive oil all over.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 1-2 hours. I only did 1 hour, my dough didn't rise a ton, that is why I was worried, but it turned out just fine. Don't stress if it doesn't get huge.

Open it up after the hour and roll it around a little to get some air out and then reshape into a ball. Place it back in the bowl for another 20 minutes.

Now it is time to roll it into an actual crust. Chris doesn't have a rolling pin, so I looked around and the only thing that I saw that was around the same shape was a coffee tin. Yes, I used the tin and it worked just fine. Place the dough on a floured surface, first sort of use your hands to flatten it out and and then roll it out. I don't like perfectly round pizza's. I like the more rustic shape. I didn't worry about the shape, but that is up to you. When you are ready place it on a baking sheet.

You can really put anything you want on the pizza. I just looked in the fridge and saw what we had. Here is what I came up with.

Toppings

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
5 cloves garlic sliced into discs
2 slices cooked bacon, chopped
1/2 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
1 roma tomato
goat cheese- about a 1/4 cup
basil

First I rubbed some olive oil onto the top of the crust and then I spread some parmesan cheese on top of that. Just a small thin layer. Then I put the garlic slices all around, threw on the bacon, mushrooms, tomato and goat cheese. Lastly a little basil on top.


I baked it at 550 degrees for 10 minutes.

I was really surprised at how well this pizza turned out. It was so delicious and I was doubting myself the whole time so it was really nice to have such a great turn out.

I also added a little Mache lettuce on the side, just to have some greens with dinner. I just threw some olive oil on it and when I ate it I kind of scooped the lettuce on top of the pizza. Hmm So delicious.


Chris had an idea this morning that we should have pizza once a week. I am game if turns out as well as it did last night.

1 comment: