Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kedgeree



This is one of my favorite (I need dinner now) dishes. It is a nice, warm delicious meal that only requires 1 pan, well maybe 2, cause you gotta poach the eggs. I can't believe that we have had this blog for over a year and haven't posted Kedgeree. There are many different variations to Kedgeree. But this is our take on it. Actually Chris taught me how to make this. It is so easy and I feel like it doesn't require any fancy ingredients.

Recipe
1 cup rice- basmati, jasmine or whatever you prefer.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons capers
1/4 cup onion / scallions
1 cup frozen spinach or fresh
lemon juice- about half of a lemon
3 eggs
Smoked salmon 4-6ozs
seasoning - salt pepper to taste

We use a rice cooker, but you could easily do this in a pot. If you don't have a rice cooker, I would definitely think about getting one. I don't own many appliances, but this one is great and they are relatively cheap.



Put the rice in the cooker with the correct amount of water. Usually it is 1 cup rice to 2 cups water. add the butter, capers, onions, spinach- if using frozen. Let this cook until the rice cooker is done.

When the rice has about 10 minutes left you can start to poach the eggs. I have an egg poacher, so it makes it a little easier, but you could easily to this the old fashioned way. You want the eggs to be cooked on the outside but runny on the inside.


Once the eggs are done, hopefully the rice will be done as well.

add the eggs to the rice.

add the salmon, I use a kitchen scissors and cut it into pieces right into the pot. Pour the lemon juice on top and stir it all together. If using fresh spinach you can add it now. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You won't need much salt because you get a nice salty taste from the capers and the salmon.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of Kedgeree before but it looks good and pretty easy to make!

    ReplyDelete