Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sloppy Joes and Coleslaw

I know what you are thinking, wow Sarah, do I really need a recipe for Sloppy Joes. Well you do! The other night I was talking with Chris and told him that I had some ground beef in the fridge and wasn't sure what to make with it. I didn't want to make chili, cause I made 2 pots of soup the day before and I didn't want to make hamburgers. He was like why not Sloppy Joes. I thought hmmm, that sounds kind of good. I don't think I have ever made them and the last time I had one it was most likely made from a can. Well I think we should bring back homemade Joes because they are delicious and easy and not that bad for you! I didn't even take pictures of the process because I really didn't think I would want to post it, but I do.

Recipe
Sloppy Joes
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion diced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 can of black beans
1/2 green pepper diced
1 cup tomato sauce
2-3 tsp diced chipotle in adobo sauce- this makes it smokey and a little spicy!
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 buns- I used mini kaiser rolls- i don't like big buns :)

Coleslaw
1/2 cup yogurt
2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cabbage chopped
1 carrot - I use my vegetable peeler to get thin strips
1/2 green pepper diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper


Brown the beef with the onion for about 8 minutes or until cooked through. Pour off the excess liquid. Add ketchup, beans, green pepper, tomato sauce, chipotle in adobo and cumin. Bring this to a boil and then let it simmer for about 5 minutes or until nice and thick. Season with salt and pepper.

For the slaw, combine the yogurt, cider vinegar and hot sauce. In another bowl combine cabbage, carrots and green peppers. Pour the yogurt sauce on the vegetables and combine well. Season with salt and pepper.

Feel free to top your Sloppy Joe with some slaw! yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment