Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chewy Ginger Cookies


Chris and I went to Trader Joe's yesterday, as I stood in line I was tempted by a box of chewy ginger snap cookies, I decided I would make my own when I got home. My grandma made ginger cookies and I always thought it was fun to measure out the thick, sticky molasses. I wish I had the recipe that she used. I did a bunch of research online and mixed a few recipes together. I wanted a recipe that used butter, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and not too much sugar. I am very pleased with how they turned out, they have a nice flavor and are the perfect amount of crisp on the outside and chewy softness on the inside. I will be adding these to my cookie repertoire!

Recipe
1/2 cup butter - softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger- I may have added a touch more
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar - for topping

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Combine butter, sugar and molasses.


add the egg.

mix well.

Combine all of the dry ingredients.


Combine the wet and dry ingredients. The dough will be crumbly.


Pour some sugar into a bowl, roll the dough into 1 inch balls and toss them around in the sugar. Place on cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.


and out of the oven come these little delicious things. This is a warning that you might eat 3-4 cookies immediately upon them coming out of the oven.

2 comments:

  1. These look spectacular!! I have actually never been to a Trader Joe's... I know... *tear. I hear it's pretty amazing.

    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    B.

    That Girl in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete